A successful event celebrating the roles of Women in Leadership took place at St Edward’s School, Cheltenham, in aid of The Nelson Trust. The evening focussed on female leaders from...
Can a Couple Use One Solicitor for a Divorce?
Traditionally when couples separate or divorce, they will each instruct a solicitor to act for them to resolve the issues arising.
Resolution Together: Using One Solicitor for One Couple in a Divorce
Resolution Together is a brand-new initiative designed to make the process of separation more manageable and less stressful for couples. We understand that breaking up is hard, and that’s why we’re here to help you through it.
Our approach is simple yet effective. When you choose Resolution Together, you’ll work with a single, specially trained solicitor who will guide you through everything, from divorce to sorting out your finances and children’s arrangements. Plus, you have the option to tap into expert advice whenever you need it, whether it’s from financial advisors, pension experts, neutral evaluators, or even counselors. We’re here to support you every step of the way.
What sets Resolution Together apart is our focus on collaboration. We encourage couples to work together, putting aside differences and finding solutions that are fair and positive for everyone, especially your children. There’s no need to worry about secrecy or distrust – we’re all about open communication, so you can say goodbye to those confrontational and conflict-filled moments.
Choosing Resolution Together also means you gain flexibility, privacy, and certainty. Not to mention, it’s often a more cost-effective option compared to the traditional route where both parties hire their own solicitors. We believe that separation doesn’t have to be a financial burden, and we’re here to prove it.
With Resolution Together, you don’t have to go through this challenging time alone. We’re here to support you in finding a better way to part ways.
What are the benefits of using one Solicitor for my divorce?
- A couple will work together with the benefit of legal advice from an experienced and trained solicitor to achieve a fair outcome for the family as a whole.
- A reduction in conflict
- The ability to tailor the advice and support required by the couple and the solution to the specific needs of the whole family
- A reduction in delay as both parties are provided with information at the same time and the majority of meetings are held jointly
- A reduction in costs – advice is provided by one solicitor
How does Resolution Together work?
- Express Your Interest: When you express an interest as a couple, we’ll arrange an initial video or in-person meeting with one of our specially trained Resolution Together solicitors. During this meeting, you’ll discuss your situation, what you want to achieve, the Resolution Together approach, and other available options for handling the issues that come up during separation.
- Individual Consultations: If you and your partner decide to proceed with a single solicitor to resolve matters, you’ll each have a separate face-to-face meeting with the solicitor. This will allow you to share your objectives and ensure that the Resolution Together approach is the right fit for both of you.
- Commitment to the Approach: If you’re both comfortable with the process, you and the solicitor will sign an agreement to commit to the Resolution Together approach. The next steps will be outlined, which could involve gathering financial and other relevant information to facilitate settlement discussions. You’ll work together as a couple, with input from other experts like financial advisors, pension experts, mediators, or counselors as needed.
- Navigating Challenges: Sometimes, there might be sticking points along the way. To address these, you might explore options such as seeking separate legal advice on a specific issue, involving an early neutral evaluator, mediator, or arbitrator, or arranging a private dispute resolution hearing.
- Reaching an Agreement: The ultimate goal is for you and your partner to work closely with the solicitor and any other agreed-upon experts to reach a fair agreement regarding your divorce, financial settlement, and arrangements for your children. Your solicitor will then assist you in formalizing and documenting this agreement as needed.
Is this approach right for everyone?
WSP Solicitors want to ensure that the Resolution Together process is as safe and effective as possible. Here’s how we do that:
- All professionals involved in Resolution Together follow strict regulations, including those regarding conflict of interest and client confidentiality. We take these rules seriously to protect your interests.
- Before we begin, our solicitors carefully assess whether the Resolution Together approach is the right fit for you as a couple. We believe in creating a secure and supportive environment for your separation journey.
- While Resolution Together is an excellent choice for many, it might not be suitable in all situations. For instance, if there are significant power imbalances, hesitancy in sharing information, or concerns about the safety of children or adults, we might explore alternative options that prioritise your well-being.
Our priority is your peace of mind, so we work to tailor our approach to your unique circumstances, making sure you feel comfortable and safe throughout the process.
One Couple One Solicitor Divorce
For more information on our Resolution Together Divorce service please visit our Resolution Together pages here. Alternatively, you can get in touch here or by using the form on this page. You can also call any of our offices and ask about Resolution Together on 01453 847200.