What happens if you are hit by an untraced or uninsured driver?

  • Posted on

It is reported that there are more than 1.2 million uninsured drivers on the road in the UK, and that there are more than 350,000 ‘hit and run’ accidents in the UK every year.

Not all of these incidents involve personal injury but almost every case will leave the victim with concerns as to how they might recover compensation for their injuries, vehicle damage, loss of earnings and any other associated losses.

If you have the misfortune to encounter one of these uninsured drivers, or you are involved in a ‘hit and run’, regarded as an ‘untraced’ motorist, there is still a place you can turn to.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) is a non-profit making company, set up by motor insurers and their aim is to compensate victims of both uninsured and untraced drivers.  In addition to this, if you are a UK citizen who is a victim of an accident involving a foreign registered vehicle in the UK, the MIB operate a Green Card System to deal with such matters.

In addition to other types of personal injury claims, WSP Solicitors specialises in MIB claims and we have years of experience in handling these. Please contact us for advice.


    Get in touch

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can